Recently, as in the other day, we were talking about some interesting online applications in some my classes. One of these apps was Grey Poupon’s “high society” application on Facebook and the other one was called Take This Lollipop, an interactive look at what information is really on your public profile of Facebook.
Mustard and lollipops? Sounds like a great discussion. What was really interesting though, was that both of these apps got the students and professors in my classes talking. Talking about what? How amazing and brilliant these apps are. Additionally, some of the students even tried the apps during class. Others waited and then proceeded to tweet about it. Others, I’m sure, haven’t even looked at them at all. I actually made my roommates do both of the apps. They were not very enthusiastic about the lollipop one, and they thought the Grey Poupon one was interesting and funny. Nevertheless, these apps have created, or are creating a lot of buzz in the online world.
This whole thing got me wondering, what about these different apps, and also a number of additional apps, got people so excited? What makes them stand out? From what I observed while listening to the discussions was that these apps are:
- New, exciting and different
- Nothing has ever been done like them
- Very interactive, especially Grey Poupon
- Makes people want to share it with their friends (who wouldn’t want to be a part of a scary mans hidden agenda or be in a special mustard society!)
- Makes people want to try them over and over again. Whether they were not admitted to Grey Poupon society, or they want to see themselves be the prey of an evil man, people like to be accepted and scared.
- Most importantly, even if people don’t like them, they will still talk about it
All in all, the word gets out. I can definitely see these types of interactive apps becoming more and more popular. This is something that the public wants and will continue to want until something else new and exciting comes along. For now, all we can do is wait and see what new and interactive app will take the stage next.